Wednesday 30 August 2017

Quilt-as-you-go. August Island Batik challenge

Quilt-as-you-go is the challenge for August for all the Island Batik Ambassadors. I first tried to use a totally unknown way of doing it. But then I had those problems with my eyes, and had to stop. When my eyes were co-operating again, I had too little time to finish what I'd been thinking of. So I made a "safe" runner. Perfect match with the colorful painting our son made some years ago. But I will finish and post my first one tomorrow, so you can see the method I used, even if it's just a little table mat.



















I started out with these fantastic colors, but changed some of them along the way. Look at that dotted fabric, just perfect for the binding.

I cut the backing and batting a little bit longer than I wanted my runner to end up.

The stripes are 5,5 cm, except for the stripes at both ends, 10 cm. I started with fastening the first stripe by sewing lines.

After some lines, I fastened stripe two, right sides together.

I turned it over and went on sewing lines.

Here you can see that it has grown.

I used Aurifil thread in a color that matched all the fabrics.

Here's a close-up on how the quilting looks like. It could do also without those extra lines, but I've always wanted to test those parallel lines on a quilt.

You can see that the lines will be a bit uneven at the back side. That's because of the way it's done, and it just gives life to your quilt.

















And here's the finished runner.

The runner may be used on both sides.

It is so easy te get the corners beautifully done with batik fabrics.

A perfect match for the painting.

And here it is in the dark hours.






















Linked up to
Midweek Makers
Let's Bee Social
Linky Tuesday at Freemotion by the River

8 comments:

  1. Nicely done! Love these fabrics and these colours! Batiks are my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. Looks awesome with the painting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is lovely and with such a nice backing too.Have yet to try QAYG

    ReplyDelete
  4. fun runner and such a modern painting that matches well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great runner and definitely a perfect match with the picture! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Visst är det kul att testa nya sätt att sy quiltar på! Din löpare är jättefin, härliga färger!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful colours!!! I love this table runner!!

    ReplyDelete

Anonyme kommentarer blir slettet.
If you comment as anonym, the comment will be deleted.