Saturday 15 July 2017

Tutorial for a scrappy block

I was challenged to show how I made the scrappy blocks for the quilt I showed on my blog yesterday. So I have tried to sew a new block today. My friend rutigt has a scrap happy day on her blog today, so there you can find more scrappy projects. Have a nice time playing with fabrics.


 Dig up some of your scrappy stripes.
Cut squares from different fabrics. I've used old curtains. My squares are 12x12 cm, or about 4,5x4,5".
 I've marked 2 cm to start the first stripe at least more than that from the corner. I try to make it wonky, and won't measure at all when I go on.
As you can see I put the stripe a bit too near the corner. You can see in the finished block that this probably will be too close.
















 I sew 2 or 3 stripes on every square, until I can see just the corner.
 I like the middle to be one colour, and here I've chosen blue. In the other quilt I used black or dark fabrics.
 The back side is now like this, and it'n no problem to square it up.
Here I've joined 4 squares to give me the first block. I recommend to make many squares before you start to make the blocks. It's easier to find the most beautiful combinations then.
Here I've framed the blocks with fabrics from Kaffe Fassett. You can use ordinary sashing in one colour if you like. Good luck!




















Linked up to
Show Off Saturday
Nina-Marie 
OhScrap! 
Show and Tell with Bambi
Linky Tuesday at Freemotion by the River 

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the wonderful tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for a great tutorial, I would not have thought to attach the first strip that way so good you hared it with us will have a go soon as have masses of scraps

    ReplyDelete
  3. Så flott teppet det ble med denne teknikken. Det var en smart måte å sy scrapblokker på. Takk for tips! Jeg lagrer ideen på Pinterest. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tack för att du länkar till min blogg och tack för att du visar hur man syr detta fina täcke! Tänk att scraps kan bli så fina tillsammans!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! I love the quilt you made out of those blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a great block, just covering half of the fabric, and no paper pieces to pull. I could do that with some of my Kaffe Fassett leftovers. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. AWESOME quilt blocks paired with fun scrappy sashing!! Thanks for sharing your process.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tack för kommentar och länkning på Visa och Berätta måndag!!Bambikram

    ReplyDelete

Anonyme kommentarer blir slettet.
If you comment as anonym, the comment will be deleted.